Simplifying Image and Video Design with Color Layers

I wanted to share a workaround I discovered for adding text to images or videos. Initially, I considered using a luma mask, but instead, I found a simpler method. Here’s what I do:

1. Create a Solid Color Layer: I add a black layer to my design and adjust its opacity to around 50%. This technique provides a clear backdrop for the text without needing complex editing.

2. Adjusting Opacity: Although I initially experimented with different opacity levels (like 25% and 80%), I realized I could make these adjustments directly in the template itself.

3. Suggestion for Design Tools: It would be great to have a layer option that simply adds a solid color (of any choice). This could potentially be integrated into the luma mattes section for easier access.

4. Incorporating Brand Colors: On a related note, I’m curious if there’s a way to use merge fields for colors, specifically using their hex codes. While I usually use white for text, it would be beneficial to incorporate our brand’s specific font colors, as used on our website, into future designs.

This approach has simplified my design process, and I hope it can help others too. I’m also interested to hear if anyone has tips on using brand-specific colors effectively in their designs.