Rendering failed: File format is not supported or file extension does not match the file type

Hi there!

I use Shotstack quite frequently, so errors at this point are not common for me. I received the following:

Rendering failed: File format is not supported or file extension does not match the file type

Job ID: d4d1b077-3fcc-48a4-81fc-ce54b709efad

I see all of the JSON (by hitting the api.shotstack.io/edit/v1/render/ endpoint), but I don’t know how to tell which file is causing the issue?

I clicked on all of the src links that were sent to Shotstack and I was able to open them as expected. So I’m not quite sure what is happening that is causing the error.

Can someone please guide me in the right direction to try and pinpoint the actual src file(s) causing the issue?

Thank you!

It looks like there is a bug with long filenames not being handled correctly. Any filename over 230 characters will not work due to the way we rename and save files when we download them.

We have deployed a fix to the sandbox for this which you can test now. We will deploy the update to production/v1 by Monday.

If you need to work around this immediately you will need to ensure your filenames are shorter than 230 characters.

Will update over the weekend as the fix is deployed to v1.

Thank you for the reply Lucas - much appreciated!

That did the trick - I decreased the file name size of the 3 images that had really long names and the slideshow rendered successfully.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future as they won’t run into this when a fix is implemented! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The fix is deployed to v1/production now so even if filenames do exceed 255 characters they will still be saved.

1 Like