Render timing out

Render ID (production): d0f8888b-f0ec-4a28-8460-92c8e3e7a0e2

This video is about ~3 minutes long but times out during rendering. We’ve run it twice with the same result.

Hey @walkthreads, we are looking into this now.

There appears to be an issue where our editor isn’t liking the encoding used.

We’ll update as soon as we’ve run some more tests.

I had a look at this and for some reason the editor doesn’t like the recorded video encoding. It is possible that it is using variable frame rate (VFR) and our editor has trouble seeking frames.

Can you tell me how you captured the footage?

I was able to get the video to render normally by re-encoding the video using FFmpeg:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libx264 -crf 18 -preset slow -c:a copy output.mp4

The new videos work fine. I can post test links if you wish or send you a DM.

We have an ingestion service in the works which will normalize footage recorded on mobiles and web cams. These devices tend to have a wide array of encoding features and standardizing everything before editing will make things more reliable.

We use the MediaRecorder API in the browser to record a user’s webcam and microphone, but we upload that raw footage to Mux and then pass the Mux encoded version to Shotstack. I’m a little surprised that there’s an issue with this particular video as I was under the impression that Mux has a standard encoding that it uses for all videos. We generally don’t have this particular issue with other videos we’ve passed to Shotstack in the past.

Leave it with us, we will try reaching out to Mux and see if they can shed any light on this.

Here’s one more example of a failed render if it helps. Videos were also uploaded and transcoded by Mux.

b07dee94-be10-4b79-9e94-bf49806464f9

Does this happen every time or just sometimes?

Only sometimes, fairly rarely I would say. Most of our Mux-encoded videos get rendered by Shotstack just fine.

@lucas.spielberg wondering if there’s an update on this, thanks!

Please try again. This issue should now be resolved. Please let us know otherwise.